Sunday, April 4, 2010

Sushi

I love love love Sushi and don't let my GF diet stop me from eating it. Luckily I love to eat the real sushi more than I love the specialty "vegas" rolls (because they are battered).

Happy Sumo (in Orem & SLC) was happy to make sure I got what I needed and even had soy sauce packets available (which is unusual). I just went right up to the sushi chefs, and asked them if they could prepare my sushi separate from the other rolls, and to make sure to change gloves. They were happy to :)

My only tip: Bring your own soy sauce! I've read that people always have some in their purse because they never know when they're going to be at a place where it's needed, but can't get GF kind because they either might not have it, or they won't know what you're talking about.

Remember, look out for the deep fried rolls!

1 comment:

  1. stumbled across your blog using the "next" feature. some things to know about sushi and celiac.... imitation crab meat is made with wheat. be certain you are eating at a GOOD sushi place and are very sure that they are using real crab meat. if not, i'd stay away from california rolls and such. also most fish eggs (used to top sushi) is also made with wheat. always double check the wasabi and ginger. you must be so careful with cross contamination as well (knew clean knife, new plate, good job on asking for new gloves). good thing is that once you find a restaurant that is accommodating and that you like, you can just stick with them. its always frustrating at first (on both sides) asking questions about this and that and are you sure??? but it is well worth it, especially when you find a good match. good luck!

    ReplyDelete